Wed 31 Mar 2021: Dartmoor 500 Word Writing Competition
The Ten Tors organisers would like young people who have been inspired by Dartmoor to write about it in 500 words or less in the form of a writing competition. Your submission can be anything to do with Dartmoor – a poem, an essay or a story. Examples might include (but are not limited to) Ten Tors training, a family walk, a terrifying ghost story, either new or an old one retold, or simply a beautifully crafted piece describing this evocative landscape.
- Entrants must be between the ages of 14-19
- The subject must be Dartmoor-based
- The submission must be 500 words or less, excluding the title
- Entries must be enjoyable or inspiring to read
- Written pieces should be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party
- Deadline: Midnight Friday 31st May 2021
How to Enter
Send entries in a Word Document as an email attachment to SWHQ-TenTors-MAILBOX@mod.gov.
- Include your name and the title of the piece
- Entries will be forwarded to the relevant judges who will be some of the Ten Tors Committee
- To include a gift voucher and the winner will have their work added to the Ten Tors website for all to read.
- BBC Radio 2 ran the 500 Words competition for several years. For hints and tips see https://www.bbc.co.uk/
programmes/articles/ 2yWPLdvFHrYgM7YYvzfF5XX/7- tips-and-tricks-for-writing-a- spectacular-short-story
- From the Ten Tors website, A Participant’s View was written by a former TGGS pupil https://www.tentors.org.uk/
A column in a national newspaper https://www.theguardian.com/
Last updated 31/03/2021